What does it mean to be alive and aware of our existence? The hard questions around consciousness straddle the blurred lines between mind and matter, science and philosophy. At a very basic level, it is simply the state of being awake and processing information.
It is estimated that an adult human body contains as many as 100 billion interlinked neurons - more numerous than the stars in our Milky Way galaxy. They are responsible for all perception, behaviour, and thought, yet every one of us possesses a unique, subjective world of inner experience and varying perceptions of reality.
Despite all the theories put forth and studies conducted to discover what consciousness is and where it resides, the subject remain contentious. We remain unsure of consciousness in comatose patients, or those decalared brain dead. Are our brains no more than biological computers that could be replaced by better machines?
Descartes first speculated that the seat of the soul lay in the pineal gland back in 1649. More recent MRI studies show significant increased activation of the pineal gland during meditation and in response to psychoactive drugs. It has been proposed that DMT, a powerful naturally-occurring psychedelic, is produced in the pineal gland. Dr. Rick Strassman has also suggested that DMT is released at the time of birth and death, inducing profoundly mystical experiences also reported in Near Death Experiences.
A curious affinity can be observed between the brain and the universe. The universe is growing like a giant brain, with the shape of expanding galaxies mirroring the firing of electrical impulses in brain cells. More interestingly, the similarities in the structures and complexities of neuronal and galaxy networks show that all our cerebral workings emulate cosmic systems.
“The entire life experience of a person can also be encoded into the distribution of galaxies in our universe,” the researchers say. To bridge consciousness and oblivion, is to discern what separates us from infinity. MindBodyScience seeks submissions in topics at the frontiers of consciousness - human or otherwise - and well being.
Mind Body Science is for those researching the frontiers of consciousness and human wellbeing.
Judged by BenBella and Findhorn Press (Inner Traditions).
- Write a compelling 1000 word book proposal based on an unpublished book idea
- Submit and launch your proposal by 1 August 2018 within the appropriate contest category for approval
- The latest you can submit and launch your campaign is 15 August 2018 to be entered into the 30-day book proposal contest
- Campaigns with the highest number of pre-orders for each contest will win USD$500
- Panel of editors from traditional publishing houses will award another USD$500 for each contest
- Winners announced by 30 September 2018
Keywords We Love: higher consciousness, global consciousness, consciousness, science, meditation, evolution, supernatural, occult, alternative therapies, psychology, entheogens, psychedelics, plant medicine, angels, fairies, aliens, artificial intelligence, panpsychism, DMT, NDE, brains, neural net, pineal gland
Start a proposal
Official Contest Rules
- Open for submissions now until 1 August 2018 23:59 EST.
- All entries must be book proposals written in English and at least 1000 words long. They must be submitted, approved and launched by 30 August 2018 23:59 EST online on the Publishizer website to qualify.
- Publishizer is accepting only original material, that has not been copied from any other work. Entries must not have been previously published, produced or distributed in any other way. Entrants are entirely responsible for all content submitted.
- There are no purchase requirements or entry fees to enter any of the Publishizer book proposal contests.
- Anyone may participate. Entrants below the age of 18 must have parental consent.
- Only one entry per person is allowed for each contest. Any entrant who enters more than one entry per contest will be disqualified.
- Each contest has 2 cash prizes of US$D500 each and may be subject to local, state and federal taxes. The prizes are not transferable, and the winner is responsible for all tax payments, international chargers, transfer fees and/or monetary currency conversion charges related to all cash prizes. Publishizer will only be responsible for the original cash prize amounts, and not for any additional costs, monetary transfers, charges or fees imposed between a financial or governmental institutions and the winner.
- The cash prize of USD$500 will be awarded to the entries with the most number of pre-orders sold for each contest. Only the number of preorders and readers registered during the 30 days of the campaign will count towards the contest.
- The other cash prize of USD$500 will be awarded by Publishizer’s participating judges. Editors from traditional publishing houses BenBella and Findhorn Press (Inner Traditions) will judge submissions to the Mind Body Science Contest on originality of ideas, quality of writing, relevance of content, length of proposal and Publishizer’s Book Proposal elements: Hook, Video, Synopsis, Outline, Author Biography, Audience Analysis, Marketing Plan, Sample Chapters.
- In the event of a tie, the contest judges will select the winner together with the founders of Publishizer based on the same judging criteria. An entry can win more than one prize. All decisions of judges are final.
- On 30 September 2018, the winners will be announced on the Publishizer website and social media accounts. Winners will be notified by email and receive information on when, where and how the prize can be collected. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, Publishizer reserves the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick replacement winners.
- Publishizer takes only a 30% commission of all pre-order sales at the end of the crowd-publishing campaign. The commission on pre-order sales is final and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. Publishizer takes no commission from future deal authors make with publishers, nor cuts from future book sales after the crowd-publishing campaign has ended - unless the author signs Publishizer on as an agent, whereby the new contract will come into effect.
- By entering any of the Publishizer book proposal contests, an entrant (or legal guardian, if applicable) agrees to the following:
- to abide by and be subject under Publishizer general terms and conditions and the Publishizer book proposal contest official rules.
- to the release of their name, likeness and book proposal for use on the Publishizer websites and social media and for other potential publicity purposes.
- to the use of they registration information and consent to receiving correspondence from Publishizer.
- to indemnify and hold Publishizer, their respective promotional partners, affiliated companies, agencies and employees, harmless from and against any and all injury, losses, damages, costs and other expenses of any kind resulting from the participation in this contest, or from accepting or using the prize awarded.
- Publishizer reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the official rules and terms and condition. Any “spamming”, harassment, suspicious or offensive behaviour and/or inappropriate use of the Publishizer website or email address is strictly forbidden. Any entrant deemed to be engaged in any fraudulent and/or suspicious activity will prompt an immediate disqualification of that party’s submission(s) into all past, present and future contests.
- Any “spamming”, harassment, suspicious or offensive behaviour and/or inappropriate use of the Publishizer website or email address is strictly forbidden. Any entrant deemed to be engaged in any fraudulent and/or suspicious activity will prompt an immediate disqualification of that party’s submission(s) into all past, present and future contests.
- Publishizer reserves the right to change, modify these terms and conditions, cancel, terminate, or suspend these contests, at its sole discretion, in the event of a technical failure, computer virus or bug, lack of contest submissions, unauthorized human intervention, fraud or any other occurrence or cause beyond its control that corrupts or adversely affects the administration, security, fairness or normal operation of the contests.
- Under no circumstances will Publishizer, and their respective directors, employees, judges or affiliated companies be required to award more Prizes than what is indicated in these Rules or award the Prizes other than in accordance with these Rules.