By Lee Constantine, Head of Growth at Publishizer
What you should do when using video to crowdfund your book
A video on your book campaign page will get you more preorders. Spend some time here, but not too much. 1–3 minutes is enough, and it only needs to be you in front of a camera or smartphone explaining your book and asking people to preorder.
- Use the word “you” a lot; talk directly to the reader, not the entire audience of your book in third person
- Memorize and record each section, then edit together; only superhumans can do this all in one shot ;)
- Keep it casual and personal, and hit your talking points (I suggest: Intro, The Problem, What’s In It, Support me)
Hey guys! I’m Lee Constantine and I’m writing a book called The Book Sales Rollercoaster. I’ve spent years working hundreds of authors in almost every phase of their book publishing journeys. I can tell you with certainty that there is not one right path for authors to take in publishing their books, but if there’s one thing that every author needs guidance on, it’s how to sell more copies. The book is a practical guide you the author on what it really takes to sell your book and get your unique idea in more hands.
And yes, the book cover of this campaign is a copy of Darren Hardy’s NYT bestseller (this is just a test account). Hand over mouth
So here’s The Problem:
96 percent of book proposals get rejected from publishers and literary agents, and even less than that make into enough hands to have a significant impact on the world. Diverse books get overlooked, great writers get rejected, and data on what it takes to become a successful author is hidden or nonexistent.
Here’s what’s in it:
In The Book Sales Rollercoaster you will how to write a proposal that gets traditional publisher expressing in your book idea. That’s the first step to getting into retail and distribution around the world. You’ll also learn what authors just like you have done to sell thousands of copies of their books and why creating a community gives you a huge advantage.
It’s time to start treating your book as a startup. And your product is your book.
So please help me:
Support this campaign by preordering a copy..or 10. The more preorders I obtain, the more publishers will express interest in this book idea. And please help get this book in more hands by sharing this page with a friend or fellow author.
Thank you!, and have a good day. (Smile)
View this video above^ at publishizer.com/the-book-sales-rollercoaster
Adding some candid footage and soft background music is always a nice touch. Upload the file to YouTube and paste the embed code on your campaign page.
1- James Haight, Author of Jack and Coke, does a great version of the above script and brings energy and clarity to his campaign goals: https://publishizer.com/jack-coke/
2-Casey Fenton, Author of The Couchsurfing Story, had some professional production and b-footage that really made his video standout: https://publishizer.com/the-couchsurfing-story
3-(fiction) Stu Krieger, Author That One Cigarette, made a personal video with in his screenwriting office: https://publishizer.com/that-one-cigarette
- Brad Sugars, Author of The Wealth Coach, is a practiced persuasive speaker and it shows. He uses the above script almost to a tee and leaves me wanting to buy immediately: https://publishizer.com/the-wealth-coach
- Ajit Nawalkha, Author of Live Big, uses a very casual approach, which is how he does all his popular videos. He also adds subtitles, which is pretty great, especially for the Facebook feed: https://publishizer.com/live-big
- Melissa Stangl, Author of Roots of Consciousness, gives a four minute chat about the idea and ran one of the best campaigns to date: https://publishizer.com/roots-of-consciousness/. She also gave similar video updates during her campaign: https://publishizer.com/roots-of-consciousness/updates/6/
- Tendayi Viki, Author of The Corporate Startup, combined some previously edited video and narrated over top with his co-author: https://publishizer.com/the-corporate-startup
- Kevin W. McCarthy, Author of Chief Leadership Officer, dives right into what his book is about, hooks his audience with why this book is relevant and then describes his background. Good mix of professional and just him in front of a webcam: https://publishizer.com/chief-leadership-officer
- Shanti Allen, Author of The Raw Alchemist, has a solid video with editing and background music. It’s short and sweet and the authors explain the book, why you should read it and then ask to preorder: https://publishizer.com/the-raw-alchemist/
- John Biggs, Author of Technotopia, did an informal version and did very well: https://publishizer.com/technotopia/
- Sangeet Paul, Bestselling Author of Platform Scale, did one more like a demo video: https://publishizer.com/platform-scale/
- Clara Pang, Author of The Sun Sets Anywhere, has a professionally edited video with images and her narrating over top: https://publishizer.com/the-sun-sets-anywhere/
Read more about How to Create an Amazeballs Book Campaign.
Apply for our next BATCH of authors who collaborate during book launch.